The Washington County Rural Heritage Museum is part of the Washington County Park System, located at the Agricultural Education Center. It is lead by volunteers who are members of the Friends of the Rural Heritage Museum.
On May 12, 2001, our 7,200 square-foot first museum building was dedicated. This building features exhibits depicting early rural life in Washington County prior to 1940.
On July 14, 2009, our second 7,200 square-foot museum building was dedicated. The second museum building houses larger pieces of farm equipment and farm implements. It shows the progression from human powered and horse drawn era to the motorized era.
The Grand Opening for the Rural Heritage Transportation Museum took place on April 6, 2013. This building showcases modes of transportation used prior to 1940.
The museum buildings contain more than 2,500 artifacts. The museum enjoys the generous support of the community, with items on display having been loaned or gifted by local residents and others.
1999 marked the beginning of the Rural Heritage Farmstead when a windmill was relocated to the upper portion of the property. Since then, there have been many additions including two log homes, an outdoor drying shed, a brick wood fired bread oven, and a pavilion to house a sawmill.
Also located at the Farmstead are the gardens. In 2005, a German Four-Square garden was constructed. It is filled with heirloom plants including vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Also that year, a large garden was created for planting potatoes for the museum’s annual Spud Fest. The garden has since expanded to include three sisters, rye, wheat, and a berry patch.
Located on the lower grounds, adjacent to the museum buildings is the Rural Heritage Village which continues to grow. Currently, there is a log church, a log home, a Doctor’s Office, Cobbler and Broom shop and a blacksmith shop. Future plans for the village include country store now being renovated and a carpenters shop.The first museum building is heated and air-conditioned and there is ample free parking for cars and buses. A gift shop is also located in the first museum building. There is no admission charge, but donations are gratefully accepted. Interested visitors are invited to support the museum and join the Friends of the WCRHM.
Download and print your Membership Application in PDF format.